Friday 12 July 2013

Lost in translation

I've been translating an interview from French to English for my Stepfather. He wrote it you see, and I'm not entirely sure why, but it's important that he have an English version.

Hence my frantic translating.

I'm not a translator. Translating is hard! I mean, yes I am fluent in both English and French, but that doesn't mean that it's easy to go from one to the other just like that!

It's bad enough having to figure out what the equivalent expressions are, without having to worry about not losing the actual sense of the original sentence.

Jeez man. Damn it.

Not that I'm not pleased to help out. I am. I mean I like my Stepdad, and I'm really pleased that he trusts me enough to do this. It's just that he's a little impatient. He wants it done fast, which I totally get. But I can't go very fast cause it's hard, and I can only do a little at a time or else my brain melts and I get it all wrong. Which would be bad.

Yeah. I really don't want to mess up.

And so I do a little every day, and slowly (far too slowly for my poor Stepdad) but surely I am getting there. I'm about halfway done now, which pleases me immensely.

Also I'm just going to end this by adding that the subject of the actual interview is really weird. Like actually really fucking weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment