Tuesday 27 August 2013

Chloe, comment les bébés arrivent dans les ventres des mamans?

Today I was babysitting my younger sister, her parents (my mother and stepfather) being at work. I have done this many times before so there should have been no cause for alarm.

But then something happened. Something that was not I repeat not supposed to happen without the presence of her mother.

Caitlin asked me how babies end up in the mummies tummy.

I don't want to have to have the talk with my five year old baby sister. Oh God no.

See many people believe that young children should just be told some bullshit story about storks and cabbage, and then when they are "ready", and around the age of twelve, then they will get the talk.

Um no.

My mother firmly believes (and I agree, as much as I might have wished that I didn't today) that you should always tell kids the truth, no matter how unpleasant it may seem. That's why I had basic knowledge of human reproduction at the age of eight.

Anyhow I had about three seconds to come up with a child friendly but truthful explanation at how babies get in the mothers stomach.

I came out with the following : so mummies have lots of little eggs in their bellies, and daddies have these special seeds, and when a mummy and a daddy love each other very much they give each other a special hug and the seed goes to the egg and they mush together and then we wait nine months for the baby to grow.

Bam human reproduction for five year olds.

No comments:

Post a Comment