Tuesday 26 February 2013

The horse meat scandal

Some days I am so glad that I don't eat meat. Like really really glad.

For two weeks now there's been this scandal in France, "le scandale de la viande de cheval", which directly translates to the horse meat scandal.

Yeah horse meat. Not kidding.

Basically all these companies have been selling meat saying that it's beef, and well I'm pretty sure you get the picture.

Horse meat. Beh.

Now if you're like my stepmother (who oddly enough is also a vegetarian although not for the reasons that I am) then you'll be wondering what all the fuss is about. You can eat horse meat, hell some people even choose to eat it. And apparently it mustn't taste that bad cause it was passing for beef there for a while.

So yeah the fact that people have been eating horse isn't the problem. It's not a health issue in any way, and frankly it's a little silly that people are willing to eat a cow but not a horse, even I'm willing to admit that.

The problem is that these companies were telling people that it was beef. And in my mind that is a huge deal. What else are they not telling us? What are we really eating? Do we actually have any control over what we decide to consume?

I think this is a issue, because I for one am very picky about what I eat. I don't eat meat, I only eat free range eggs, I don't eat chips, or drink fizzy drinks, and that is my choice. I decided to restrict what I consume. And I think that my choice should be respected, just like everyone elses choice.

So if you don't want to eat horse then you should be able to be sure that you're not eating horse. So now I guess I'm going to worry even more about what I eat. And I guess I'm not going to be the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment