Wednesday 26 December 2012

The Family


The Family is what my cousin and I call our shared relations. For some reason we enjoy making our shared family sound like some sort of Irish mafia. Go figure.

The Family. You know I can't even remember when we started calling them that? It just sort of happened.

I love my family very much. But I don't always like some of the members.
Family is a funny thing. It's funny because it's the one thing that you can love to itty bitty pieces, and at the same time, hate with a fiery burning passion.

Family. The word basically means a love-hate relationship.

How to explain the Family. Pretty regular I'd imagine. Pretty decent. But we talk. Oh boy do we talk. The competition is especially fierce between the sisters, that is to say my mother and aunts. And what are their chess pieces? Well my dearies those chess pieces would be their children.

It's hard to explain this without making them seem like horrible human beings. They aren't. They're lovely really. They just try and convince each other quietly, discreetly, subtly, that "my child is better than yours. Nah!"

What's funny is I don't think that they realise that they do it. Funny but also annoying sometimes. Especially when one of the chess pieces actually believes that they are the best and rubs it into your face.

It's always like that in these situations. You either end up believing you're some sort of demi-god, or you can't sleep at night because your going to fail everyone/have failed everyone.

Guess where I fit in.

Basically I'd say that the Family lives in a perpetual state of competition. And it's annoying as fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment